Why Should I Trust You Again? Then Again, Why Shouldn’t I?

Aurora during a geomagnetic storm that was mos...

Aurora during a geomagnetic storm that was most likely caused by a coronal mass ejection from the Sun on 24 May 2010. Taken from the ISS. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Today, I had to deal with my own trust in the Lord. He has never let me down even once, and yet, faced with fears of losing, or even just changing, something I find priceless, I found myself still trying to control the situation. Again, He directed me to Job 38. To me, it is kind of God’s Resume…

Job 38

New International Version(NIV)

Lightning bolts hitting Atlanta skyscrapers

Lightning bolts hitting Atlanta skyscrapers (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

The Lord Speaks

38 Then the Lord spoke to Job out of the storm. He said:

“Who is this that obscures my plans
with words without knowledge?
Brace yourself like a man;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.

“Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.
Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?
On what were its footings set,
or who laid its cornerstone —
while the morning stars sang together
and all the angels[a] shouted for joy?

“Who shut up the sea behind doors
when it burst forth from the womb,
when I made the clouds its garment

Black-chinned Hummingbird -- Moab, Utah, USA

Black-chinned Hummingbird — Moab, Utah, USA (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

and wrapped it in thick darkness,
10 when I fixed limits for it
and set its doors and bars in place,
11 when I said, ‘This far you may come and no farther;

Pleiades (M45, Seven Sisters) open cluster - i...

Pleiades (M45, Seven Sisters) open cluster – infrared image from NASA’s Spitzer Space Telescope (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

here is where your proud waves halt’?

12 “Have you ever given orders to the morning,
or shown the dawn its place,
13 that it might take the earth by the edges
and shake the wicked out of it?
14 The earth takes shape like clay under a seal;
its features stand out like those of a garment.
15 The wicked are denied their light,
and their upraised arm is broken.

16 “Have you journeyed to the springs of the sea
or walked in the recesses of the deep?
17 Have the gates of death been shown to you?
Have you seen the gates of the deepest darkness?
18 Have you comprehended the vast expanses of the earth?
Tell me, if you know all this.

19 “What is the way to the abode of light?
And where does darkness reside?
20 Can you take them to their places?
Do you know the paths to their dwellings?
21 Surely you know, for you were already born!
You have lived so many years!

22 “Have you entered the storehouses of the snow
or seen the storehouses of the hail,
23 which I reserve for times of trouble,
for days of war and battle?
24 What is the way to the place where the lightning is dispersed,

Job's Peak

Job’s Peak (Photo credit: glenngould)

or the place where the east winds are scattered over the earth?
25 Who cuts a channel for the torrents of rain,
and a path for the thunderstorm,
26 to water a land where no one lives,
an uninhabited desert,
27 to satisfy a desolate wasteland
and make it sprout with grass?
28 Does the rain have a father?
Who fathers the drops of dew?
29 From whose womb comes the ice?
Who gives birth to the frost from the heavens
30 when the waters become hard as stone,
when the surface of the deep is frozen?

31 “Can you bind the chains[b] of the Pleiades?
Can you loosen Orion’s belt?
32 Can you bring forth the constellations in their seasons[c]
or lead out the Bear[d] with its cubs?
33 Do you know the laws of the heavens?
Can you set up God’s[e] dominion over the earth?

34 “Can you raise your voice to the clouds

The Earth seen from Apollo 17.

The Earth seen from Apollo 17. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

and cover yourself with a flood of water?
35 Do you send the lightning bolts on their way?
Do they report to you, ‘Here we are’?
36 Who gives the ibis wisdom[f]
or gives the rooster understanding?[g]
37 Who has the wisdom to count the clouds?
Who can tip over the water jars of the heavens
38 when the dust becomes hard
and the clods of earth stick together?

39 “Do you hunt the prey for the lioness
and satisfy the hunger of the lions
40 when they crouch in their dens
or lie in wait in a thicket?
41 Who provides food for the raven
when its young cry out to God
and wander about for lack of food?

My dad told me this story about when I was little:

“When you were little…about two or three, I’d say, I came home, and your mom was just tired. You’d talked her ears off all day. So, I said to myself, I’m just going to let her talk until she wears herself out. I said to you, ‘“Cathie, come here. We’re gonna talk.”’

A long time later, you were still going. I thought to myself, ‘” If I cover her mouth, her little rearend will blow right off.”’  Who knew I still wouldn’t be able to shut up, even today.

I’m sorry, Lord. You’re right. You have been the most trustworthy being in my entire life. I’m sorry that I am struggling with this doubt and fear. I will continue to trust that You know what is best for him, and for me. I will be quiet….even though my butt may blow off from the effort!!

— Catherine (Bird)

I’m A Casualty in my Husband’s War Against Time

61 responses to “Why Should I Trust You Again? Then Again, Why Shouldn’t I?”

1. kyllingsara says:

Thanks a bunch. You made me cry. Wow. I never cry.

2. Anne Sikes says:

This is awesome! 🙂 I’m reblogging it! 🙂 There’s a song, by the way that I love. You may’ve heard it. It’s called, “Somebody Bigger Than You and I”. I used to play that on the piano a lot…beautiful and I love the words, which are basically what that passage says. Bless you!! (and keep talking!) 🙂

3. Anne Sikes says:

Reblogged this on My Life Uncut…Almost and commented:
    I love this. Great passage and thoughts from Bird at Everyone Has A Story!

4. “here is where your proud waves halt” has always been one of my favorite (and most needed) verses. I talk too much, too, but worse — I think too much. Like He needs an externat harddrive or something?

• Bird says:

Do you send the lightning bolts on their way?
      Do they report to you, ‘Here we are’?
      –and–
      37 Who has the wisdom to count the clouds?
      Who can tip over the water jars of the heavens
      38 when the dust becomes hard
      and the clods of earth stick together? are some of my favorites… I get overwhelmed with things sometimes, and then I have to just stop and think just how big God really is…He’s got things in control..always has had them in His control… I am just crap at this waiting thing…lol..kind of like Sara was saying.

5. The Hobbler says:

That passage is kind of like God’s “can you hear me now” passage. 😉

• Bird says:

lol..right? I always think of it as Him talking kind of sarcastically…”Seriously, Job? You think you know something?? Where were you?? Go ahead.. Bring it on, little man..” But while I find that funny, I don’t want to offend other people…lol..

• The Hobbler says:

It’s understandable why you wouldn’t want to offend, but just between us, I whole heartedly agree.

• Bird says:

lol..I think God is the Ultimate Comedian, but some people get offended by that thought…Still, I can’t imagine how He would be unhappy with us laughing..He created laughter, right? I’d have died long ago if I hadn’t learned to laugh at really crappy things..

• The Hobbler says:

Laughter, creativity…if God needed sleep, he would probably fall asleep in church too.

• Bird says:

Oh, Hobbler! No truer words have been spoken! Do not get me started on the state of our churches today… I am still appalled!

• The Hobbler says:

Me too. It has upped my cynicism up a few notches. I believe in God, I just don’t believe in “his people” much.

• Bird says:

I’m sorry about that. When I was younger, I’ll admit to being naive, and I always assumed that if a person said they were a Christian, then they were actively in pursuit to be like Jesus…It didn’t take me long to find out that this wasn’t the case…and it wasn’t a small amount of people that weren’t even trying to be like Jesus…it seemed like the majority. I don’t even begin to judge people or where they are in their walk or whatever,but I’ve stopped taking people’s word for it, and instead look at the fruit of their lives. lol..I’d rather see the fruit on a lemon tree, than take the lemon tree’s word for it…Trust me, there are a lot of people that are going to get to heaven and be surprised when God says “Hey, I never knew you..” Sad, but that is what the bible says. I just don’t want to be one of those!

• The Hobbler says:

Yeah, it is not just Christians I’m cynical toward, it is people in general, myself included. I’ve just been having some shifting perspectives a lot. I’m just kind of holding on and waiting to see where God is going with it.

6. kyllingsara says:

I think I need to read the Bible…

• Bird says:

It is absolutely beautiful! It is how I came to have a mental picture of God. I can read it over and over again, and always feel like I’m reading it for the first time. You still have your Grandmother’s bible, right?

• kyllingsara says:

Yes, but for some reason I can;t find it. I looked the last place I put it. It was in the attic and now I can’t find it anywhere.

• Bird says:

Do you want me to send you one? I have two, but I really only use the one… The Bible is important. It is our handbook for life and our armor and weapons to defeat our enemy. I want you equipped.. 🙂

• kyllingsara says:

Do you think the angry dude downstairs is hiding it from me? That Bible is so special to me. It’s the one important thing my grandmother gave me. It was the dearest thing she had, but when she couldn’t see anymore she gave it to me. She was so strong in her faith and so humble.

If I can’t find it, I will accept your offer. 🙂

• Bird says:

Yes. I do think that. I have helped people find the Lord before…what I haven’t dealt with is the level of attacks on this specific time. Satan was really working hard to keep you in the dark. I still am shaking my head at all of the stuff that came up that was related to your walk with the Lord. So, not finding the Bible fits perfectly. The sooner you get your hands on that, or any, bible, the better. Let me know…I’ll get it in the mail tomorrow if you want. You can’t own too many bibles.. 🙂

• kyllingsara says:

Forallhisgloryandpraise had serious stuff happening to her – health issues and computer problems related to that. I think it was the evening before I invited God into my heart. Or it could have been the day of. I have a feeling Satan has kept me in the dark for a long time. Every time I’ve tried to get closer to God I have been pulled away. Something bad has happened or I have been filled with doubt.

• Bird says:

I can’t go into a lot of it on a public forum, but I’ve been way-laid here in my really-real life big time. I am completely honest on my blog, but I have to respect the privacy of the members of my family. Let’s just say…I’m being bombarded…and I think it is mainly because of this blog. Who knew it was going to do any thing important? I didn’t. I was practicing writing and preserving stories for my kids. Shit started happening just the minute I became interested in your blog…It is easy to see the trail here, for me.

And I’d go through every bit of it again to have this outcome. You are worth it, Sara. 🙂

• kyllingsara says:

Wow. No one has ever said that to me before, and tonight you and forhisglory has both told me. I feel humbled and weepy. I’m sorry you are under such strong of an attack, but together we can beat him with our thong-slings and my crazy-lion-on-steroids protective instinct. I will not let anyone hurt my friends. No one. Satan must really not have wanted us to find each other…

• Bird says:

No. He most definitely did not, and he really worked hard to prevent it. Man, I am interested in seeing just where you end up working in this kingdom of ours… I’ll bet the guy/girl who helped lead Billy Graham to the Lord is still trying to recover from the attacks..lol!! I think this must feel a little like they did! Well, I was obedient, and I made a friend in the process. I’m content, and Jesus will handle satan and his crap…if I just can keep out of His way and let Him do His job.. 🙂

• Bird says:

I’ve fallen completely behind on everyone’s sites..I hope to get caught back up soon. I had no idea forallhisglory is sick, though i think she mentioned being in the hospital. I suck..I have to get caught up with everyone’s lives.. In the meantime, I will pray for her.

Just remember this..it is inevitable, and more than likely, soon, satan will lodge his attacks on you. But Jesus won’t allow him to go too far..Now that you belong to the Lord, satan has to get permission …like he did with Job. God allows us to be tested and attacked..that is how we become stronger…it is on-the-job training. But He doesn’t allow us to be attacked to a level we will not be able to handle. Just an fyi…As hard as he worked to keep you in the dark, it is unlikely he’ll give up without a fight. Be prepared!! I pray for you..as do, obviously a lot of your sisters and brothers here in wordpress. You’re going to be unstoppable!

• Bird says:

Also, pray that the Bible is returned to you..Jesus cares about the sentimental value as well, and satan has stolen enough from you!!

• kyllingsara says:

I am going to pray about that. I found a substitue Bible in the meantime. It’s the one that I bought when I thought I was ready but was pulled away again. It’s pink… lol.

Ps. Nomaanbutt apologized. 🙂

• Bird says:

What? Really? Wow. Is it on your site?

• kyllingsara says:

Jupp. It’s under that post. I think God is giving me an extra dose of strength today after calling me a dumbass. Lol

• Bird says:

lol..He calls me a dumbass all the time. Probably because I am one!! I laughed when I read that…

• kyllingsara says:

Then we can be a pair of dumbasses together. Boy, God will have a handful with the two of us. I’m ornery and stubborn. Oh well, makes it more difficult for Satan to pull any tricks I haven’t seen before.

• Bird says:

lol. I love the stories of the people that God calls in the bible…Paul, murdering Christians,…Moses, also a murderer, Mary Magdeline, an ex-hooker..I love that Jesus’s lineage has a prostitute in it. So you know what, I think we fit right in to the column of people He can use to expand His Kingdom!! 🙂 I personally find that stuff encouraging!

• kyllingsara says:

So do I. I will say goodnight to you, my dear. I hope you get some good sleep tonight. I will include you in my prayers. Boy, I have a lot of people I will include. So weird. Just goes to show – old dogs can learn new tricks… Goodnight. Love you!

• Bird says:

Pink! How sweet..lol. It doesn’t matter. Just start getting to know it. Some people start in proverbs when they first begin, while others start in matthew. Personally, I can’t remember where I started.. 🙂

• kyllingsara says:

For some reason I have a feeling I am to start with the Corinthians. I don’t know why, but I just do. I have a hunch I will get my answer. Armed with my pink Bible I am joining you in your fight against Satan. And he will NOT win.

• Bird says:

Thank you! And it seems you already have the right direction. See, Jesus had this one in the bag..:-)

I’m getting ready to go to sleep..very tired tonight. Just in case, I just wanted to say good night, sweet dreams, and I’m so happy to call you my sister. 🙂

• kyllingsara says:

No eye has seen, no ear has heard,
                    and no mind has imagined,
                    what God has prepared
                    for those who love him

• Bird says:

One of my very favorites!

• kyllingsara says:

I knew there was a reason for me to start there. 🙂 See, He sure knows what He is doing.

• Bird says:

Amen to that, sista!! You know, I haven’t read Job in more than a decade. And yet, boom! He directed me right to His resume..Amazing God!

• Bird says:

So Nomaanbutt has a blog with two articles in it. He basically attacked you with a week’s worth of experience with blogging. Some people have big ones, that’s for sure. I read his apology..it was big of him to admit he was wrong, but your response was way more impressive. Getting this forgiveness thing down, are we? You rule! Well, I’m off to bed! ‘Nite!

• kyllingsara says:

Practice makes perfect – or if not perfect, then a heck of a lot better. Lol. Well, God kind of threw me into the deep end in that area, didn’t he? After that the rest seems like small potatos. Goodnight. Sweet dreams. Don’t let Chef.. eh, I mean the bed bugs bite ya.

7. wdednh says:

Reblogged this on YOU DECIDE.

8. Annie says:

Crisis, in that it’s too hard for me to believe that the Lord would allow this to happen.,

9. g says:

This is one of my favorite scripture passages. You often speak for me.

10. God is getting ready to do something awesome!

11. chotenmien says:

Thank you for your interest in http://www.enjoyf.com. I just put it into the official website activities. Hope you will visit frequently http://www.enjoyf.com everyday to relax comfortably! Wish you happy weekend!

12. terry1954 says:

this issue of trust has been a big one for me lately also. i want to control the situation here at home. i get angry because God is not fixing it today. I question him why he is waiting, to heal him. my faith has been weaker than normal, but thanks to you and others i am still fighting

• Bird says:

I know first hand how much this sucks. And I promise you, I may be stronger in some areas of my walk with the Lord, but I’m failing at this being quiet thing on a pretty consistent basis.. I can tell you this, Terry. I had to take care of my mom for awhile, and I wasn’t a tiny fraction as good at it as you are. I admire you and your ability to get up each day, knowing you may never be thanked by that person you are sacrificing for, and yet give it your full effort. I can’t do that…So, who is teaching who here? 🙂

13. […] in considering today’s confession, I came across a blog post by Bird Martin that resonated with me. The reason goes back to the message my pastor gave in church on Sunday. In […]

14. shelleyring says:

Awesome post, Bird! I especially like when God tells Job to take it like a man. Lol. This part of Scripture really speaks to me right now. I’m linking to your blog in my post today. Thanks for the encouragement! http://shelleyring.wordpress.com/2012/04/27/the-lord-speaks-to-me/

15. These are the days that Satan is whispering those doubts to us. I usually say outloud…”Shut up Satan!” Jk, always says…”Mom who are you talking to?” I tell her and get a sideways glance much like her puppy dog gives and then a quick…”Oh…carry on,” and then she leaves the room. LOL! But Bird, we all have those days, funny how if we pray about out doubts that God usually will show his power to us to remind us that he indeed is someone to have faith in. You pictures remind us of those times, just as God’s Word does too. Have faith sister, because we have seen an answer to prayer in the last couple of days, and that was a quiet reminder of his love and hope for us.

16. GodGirl says:

Such a great passage of scripture. Thanks for reminding us how big he is, and in control of everything.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s